WORLD OCEANS DAY
‘Every living thing here needs me. I’m the source.’
June 8th is celebrated as World Oceans Day! Oceans are the life support system of our planet. Oceans regulate our climate. It is a global day of ocean celebration and collaboration for a better future. They provide the majority of our oxygen. The oceans are a global resource that we all rely upon,
• Life began in the Ocean over 3.5 billion years ago.
• Most major forms of life, live in the ocean.
• Most volcanic activity occurs in the oceans.
• There are over 6,000 known species of coral in the ocean.
• The great barrier reef(confusion) is the largest living structure on Earth and can be seen from space.
• The deep sea is the largest habitant on earth.
• The arctic ocean covers more than 5 million square miles.
• Over 71% of the earth’s surface is ocean.
World Oceans Day is an annual observation to honour the world's oceans, celebrate the products the ocean provides. Global pollution and over-consumption of fish have resulted in drastically dwindling population of the majority of species. World Oceans Day also provides a unique opportunity to take personal and community action to conserve the ocean and its resources.
The ocean is downstream of everything, so all of our actions, no matter where we live, effect the ocean and the marine life it holds. World Ocean Day is a time to celebrate the efforts of our entire community in protecting the blue. We can take the following simple steps:
1. Mind Your Carbon Footprint and Reduce Energy Consumption.
2. Make Safe, Sustainable Seafood Choices.
3. Use Fewer Plastic Products.
4. Be an Ocean-Friendly Pet Owner.
5. Influence Change in Your Community.
6. Help Take Care of the Beach.
7. Travel the Ocean Responsibly.
8. Educate About Oceans and Marine Life.
9. Don't Purchase Items That Exploit Marine Life.
10. Support Organizations Working to Protect the Ocean.
World Oceans Day events include a variety of activities and actions, such as special outdoor explorations, beach cleanups, educational and action programs, art contests, film festivals, and sustainable seafood events.
Oceans are the Life blood of Planet Earth and human kind. To survive and prosper we all need healthy Oceans. More than 97% of the World’s water reside in oceans. It generates half of the Oxygen people breath.